How to Carry Things with Crutches
If you or someone you know has had the unfortunate experience of using traditional crutches, you know all too well that day-to-day functions such as carrying, lifting, shopping and cleaning become challenging, if not downright impossible. The first morning after your injury it’s inevitable that you look at your freshly brewed cup of coffee and think how do you carry things when using crutches?
Assistive devices have historically been designed to support the injured extremity but do little to consider the person as a whole. As life carries on post-injury, you become forced to depend on others to complete everything from laundry to grocery shopping to meal preparation and can often lose your sense of self. Preserving functional independence not only gives us self-worth but it is directly linked to our overall quality of life. As such, our medical devices should support this journey by focusing on safety, security and the promotion of maintained functional independence.
Hands-Free Crutches for Walking
Perhaps the biggest limitation that traditional assistive devices create, is they limit functional use of our upper extremities, making carrying, lifting and reaching a big challenge. So what if we could create a device that suspended the injured leg, facilitated healing, and freed the arms to complete day-to-day tasks? That’s exactly what the developers of the Freedom Leg did. It is so important to not lose any more functionality while you are non-weight bearing with crutches.
With a state-of-the-art, award winning design, the Freedom Leg uses a suspension system with multi-strap attachments, an adjustable base and aluminum side rails to provide 100% non-weight bearing support without any upper extremity involvement. Returning your freedom and function, the Freedom Leg stands out as the top hands-free, most comfortable crutch alternative on the market today that will get you walking, reaching and carrying things as if nothing had ever happened.
Why the Freedom Leg?
As the name infers, the Freedom Leg is all about returning your freedom. Forget relying on backpacks, loved ones, and overpriced crutch attachments, and instead free your arms and regain your independence with our unique design. Thinking about another device, let us convince you otherwise:
- An alternative to knee scooters- Whereas the Freedom Leg frees your arms and protects your leg, a knee scooter limits use of arms, causes significant weight bearing through the knee joint and is challenging to negotiate on uneven terrain.
- Freedom Leg vs. I-walk- Contrary to the Freedom Leg, the I-walk places significant pressure on the knee joint contributing to local irritation and limiting applicability to knee joint injuries.
- An alternative to crutches- Crutches completely eliminate the use of your hands and arms, can contribute to compensatory axillary nerve damage and wrist discomfort and are cumbersome to manage on the go.
- Freedom Leg vs. standard walker- While the Freedom leg allows you to hold onto both handrails, standard walkers are almost impossible to manage on stairs, have limited use on rough terrain, require bilateral upper extremity use limiting upper body functions and can contribute to wrist and hand weight bearing injuries.
Regain Functionality With the Freedom Leg
Injuries stink but they don’t have to stop you in your tracks. It’s time to get your life back. Consider all of the things that traditional assistive devices have prevented but the Freedom Leg will let you accomplish:
- Giving your child a hug
- Taking a plate to the dinner table
- Grocery shopping with ease
- Negotiating stairs without fear of falling
- Carrying your morning cup of coffee
- Doing the dishes
- Popping up an umbrella in the rain
- Taking out the trash
- Pulling luggage on your next getaway
Sustaining an injury is limiting enough, don’t let your assistive device limit you also!
How it Works
Application is as simple as slide, strap and go. With multiple adjustable straps and an adjustable base height, the device is made to accommodate varying sizes and shapes as well as various shoes, walking boots and casts. By keeping a slight bend in the knee, the Freedom Leg allows you to seamlessly clear the limb while keeping the hips and pelvis level and the rest of the body in check. Once the device is on, you are free to move, explore, cook, clean, carry and live!
Bottom line, the Freedom Leg is the obvious choice for regaining functional freedom after an injury. Whether you’re looking for the best crutches for amputees, the best crutches for mobility restoration, or are simply tired of googling how to carry things with crutches, the Freedom Leg is the device for you.
Get moving and get your Freedom Leg today! Ready to regain your independence?
"Family Physician, had to have both of his feed repaired and found Freedom Leg very helpful, allowing him freedom to continue particing medicine and even running his snow blower"
"Broke his ankle and had to have surgery. The surgeons put screws in his ankle and told him not to put weight on it for 90 days. He was prescibed crutches. Fortunately he discoved Freedom Leg while looking for alternatives on the internet and was able to walk again without difficulty"